What is #buidl_bali?
#buidl_bali is a 10-day working retreat for people building a better future with blockchain.
It's an opportunity to make meaningful connections with like-minded people.
It's also an adventure: a chance to experience the environment, food, and culture of Bali with new friends.
About the name "Buidl" is a misspelling of "build" popularized by those in the blockchain community who value building over speculation. Here, however, it refers equally to buiding relationships.
Who is eligible?
#buidl_bali is for those building a better world through blockchain. Are you a designer, engineer, writer, investor, marketer, community builder, founder, or other creator in crypto? Preference will be given to those whose projects have a greater-good focus, but anyone involved with blockchain is welcome to apply. Gender balance will be strived for. The focus is on assembling a diverse group whose members will benefit from each others' company.
It can be hard to make meaningful connections while "grabbing coffee" or during a break at a conference. #buidl_bali is a rare chance to meet other builders in a fun and relaxed setting while getting stuff done. Friendships, projects, businesses, and more could result.
Why is Peepeth organizing this? Peepeth is about fostering positive interactions and raising the vibe. Like Peepeth, #buidl_bali is a novel approach to networking that puts the human experience first. #buidl_bali isn't just a way to bring builders together; it's also a potential source of revenue for Peepeth that'll help support development.
I'm Bevan, the creator of Peepeth, and I'm running #buidl_bali. My goals for this retreat are as follows:
- Enable meaningful connections
- Get things done
- Have tons of fun
Good things happen when you bring together a group of driven builders working for a better future. #buidl_bali will be a deep experience you can't get from behind a laptop or at large events. Small retreats may not scale, but are nonetheless pathways to changing the world.
Why Bali? Travel can be a great creative stimulus. New envirnments can break our habitual patterns, which can unconstrain the mind. Even if you live in Indonesia, I hope the different location will give you a new perspective.
The importance of fun. Remember fun, that thing you used to have as a kid? Startup culture may not celebrate it, but it's important. Let's not forget that we're only here for a short time, that work and positive emotions aren't mutually exclusive, and that good states lead to good work.
What really matters? #buidl_bali is an opportunity to get together and raise the vibe in a meaningful way. So, if you:
- are building a better world through technology
- want to meet others doing the same
- while having an amazing life experience
We'll be staying in a serene villa in the Bali countryside (near Balian beach). It's secluded from the main tourist attractions (1.5-2 hours away from most popular sights). Most accomodation is in shared rooms, but there are some private rooms available too. See the price list for details.
Breakfast will be prepared and served at the villa every morning. Lunch is not provided, although catering is an option at your expense. Dinner will be catered most nights and we'll eat as a group at the villa. Vegetarian/vegan options are available as well. Every third night we'll eat at local restaurants.
Life on retreat
Days will be free (presumably you'll have things to do). However, optional daytime activites are encouraged. Options include:
- Ancient ruins
- Hot springs
- Mount Batur sunrise hike
- Yoga classes
- Cooking classes
- Massage and bodywork
- Tirta Empul, a sacred hotspring for purification rituals.
- Coffee and tea tours
- Touring the beautiful countryside on scooters
We'll meet every night for group dinners (some at the villa, some at restaurants). This villa is in a quiet area so we'll have quiet hours after 9.
- Accomodation for 9 nights
- Breakfast at the villa
- Catered dinners two nights out of three
- Basic amenities
- Laundry machine
- Maid service
- Wifi (see notes below)
- Concierge service. If you'd like to organize something it'll be on you.
- Lunch. There are nearby restaurants and catering is an option at your expense.
- Dinner every third night is not included, although catering is an option for those who want to remain at the villa. Alcohol is not included.
- Transportation around the island (including to the villa from the airport).
- Tips for the villa staff.
- Optional activities (massage, excursions, dining out, diving, etc...).
Despite the nice villa, this isn't a full-service, luxury retreat. The property is in the Indonesian countryside, which can present challenges (see list below). Come with a spirit of adventure and self-reliance and you won't be dissapointed.
If you're not ok with the following, #buidl_bali may not be for you:
- Wifi and AC may cut out at times. You should be ok with a fan and SIM card.
- Hot water and electricity may not always be available.
- Other jungle residents will make appearances (insects, frogs, and other critters).
- Wifi may not be as fast as your connection back home.
- It will rain (hard) and be humid.
- Food may be adventurous for some tastes.
- We'll have quiet time after 9 (no loud parties or music onsite as it's a family area).
- No drugs / illicit activites.
Travel info & schedule
Airport: Ngurah Rai International Airport (AKA Denpasar International Airport, DPS). This is the main airport in Bali, located 13KM south of Denpasar.
Check in: You can arrive at the villa as early as 3pm on Feb 19. A shuttle or taxi can be arranged for you, or you can use Uber or arrange your own taxi.
Check out: Check out is at noon on Feb 28.
Visas: Ensure that you can obtain an Indonesian visa before applying.
Prices are for the entire stay. Early-bird pricing ends in 268 hours.
|Bed Type||Price (USD)||Earlybird|
|Single bed in shared room||1250||1000|
|Big bed in shared room||1500||1200|
|Couple in private room||3000||2400|
How to join
- Apply (below) before December 16th 11:59PM PST, including a $500 deposit.
- You'll hear back within three days of the deadline if accepted. If not accepted, your deposit will be refunded at that point.
- After being accepted, you'll have 24 hours to complete payment.
- See the Terms for more.
More is not always better. Group sizes between 8-20 create an intimate and personal atmosphere. Sixteen people is the target, but the retreat will run with between 8 and 20 people. See the eligibility section for selection criteria.
Can't make the dates?
Aren't available from Feb 19 - Feb 28? Tell us what dates work for you and stay in the loop.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include "#buidl_bali" in the subject.